10/08/2004

Bird Park Update

This morning the birds are contentedly nibbling away in the Bird Park outside my window. The weeds are taller then ever, but the taller they get, the more they like it. You could almost say the backyard has gone to the birds but it never was landscaped in the first place. We tried doing a lawn on the cheap but it failed. The effort did result in a more interesting variety of weeds however. Anyway, lawns are stupid. Especially in a desert. Think about it. In the first place, weeds are free. They don't require any watering or maintenance. You don't have to go out and weed em. Plus they hold the dirt down. And the more the merrier, as far as the birds are concerned. They love wandering around under the towering stalks eating the tasty seeds I sprinkle for them. You may think I’m exaggerating about how virle the weeds are. I only snap off the tops when they poke over the 8 foot fence. Out of respect for the neighbors. It is, truly, the least I can do.

Plonk's back since I stopped putting out so many crow goodies. As you might remember from an earlier exciting Bird Park update, he started hanging out next door while we were in Mexico and, o_pain_o_me_heart, he didn't dash home the minute we returned. But I don't blame him. He's a shy fellow and doesn't care much for raucous types. Crows land with a thump and stomp through the crowd snapping up everything in sight. They're a pain in the ass but they're grand. I wouldn't want Plonk to know this but I'd love riding around on a crow's back. Or better yet, a magpie's. But Plonk is number one around here; Plonk and the little birds. I haven't seen Plonk's girlfriend lately but then I'm staring at the monitor most of the day and forget to look out the window. Anyway, here's a photo of Plonk from this morning.

4 comments:

someone said...

I saw a magpie in the Cascades on the way home from the reunion. First one I'd seen since leaving your place. They are so beautiful, and reminded me of you.

asha said...

Thanks. Nicest things anyone's said to me all day. Hope you enjoyed the visit with your outlaw inlaws. I expect a post on your blog within the hour. :)

Kristiana said...

Bird Parks give meaning to our lives. Do you have a bird bath out there too??

asha said...

No bird baths at the moment but the birds sometimes bathe in their drinking water. I must get a bird bath. However, I just transplanted a tree that was drowning in lawn run off and the birds are now bathing in the hole so I decided to line it for them as an inground pool.