10/09/2004

Outback and Apple Pie

It's late and we're leaving early in the morning for the back country. Sorry. I hate calling it that. Sounds so affected. But it's better than saying "outback", even thought it's perhaps a more accurate image. But "outback" sounds completely phony to me. What the hell? I'm not in Australia. But Nevada is a true and great wilderness. We will be completely off the grid. Sorry for using another cliche but it's a good image. That's exactly where we'll be. A cell phone wouldn't work, if we had one. The jeep is packed and both Mr. Lee and I are drooped over our keyboards, too wired to sleep. But we're leaving in 5 hours so I'm going to go now.

But one thing. I'm kind of superstitious about mentioning good things until I know for sure, but I'm going to take a risk and tell you anyway. Otherwise, I won't be able to say anything for a week or two. My son John is coming home! He's not going to Iraq after all, at least right now. If you don't know, he was recently deployed along with the rest of his Montana National Guard Unit and has been training in Texas for the last couple of months. But Congress sets tine limits on overseas duty and because he has already served abroad he would exceed them before the rest of his Unit. He wasn't told before he left. Once they're deployed, some guys "volunteer" to extend. He didn't, thank god. He was supposed to arrive home today but I haven't heard anything yet. Anita told me that he called the university when he found out he was returning and got permission to start classes late. I'm delighted! What a twist!! Oh my god!!! Last I heard, she stayed up late last night and baked him an apple pie.

3 comments:

someone said...

Have a wonderful trip. So very very happy to hear about John. Delighted. It becomes so much less and so much more about politics when it is your own family, eh?

Kristiana said...

Have a wonderful time and dont forget your notepad. I cant wait to see all 1,256,296,893,944,322 pictures when you get home!!

asha said...

It becomes so much less and so much more about politics when it is your own family, eh? # posted by someone : 7:44 AM

You can say that again. Like the saying goes, "Reality is when it happens to me."

---

Have a wonderful time and dont forget your notepad. I cant wait to see all 1,256,296,893,944,322 pictures when you get home!! # posted by asia kennan : 11:45 AM

Hahahahahahahahahaha LOL in the Tonopah Public Library. Smart ass.