10/08/2006

Message in a bottle #10,001


F.T. Wuck recently left me this fuming comment: "I type in "ashabot" and all I get is "Yahoo News, Rabid Edition", but all I really want is comix, dammit! Jeez, even static films of feathery shitbirds is welcome at this point...how about a fucking poem or little story even?" Although the rants aren't going away (sorry F.T.) I get damn few visitors around here and even fewer comments so when someone makes a fuss I do pay attention.

Sadly, I only have excuses for why I don't post more fabrication. Certainly politics is fabrication of the grossest order but F.T.'s right. I am pretty stingy about posting my own poetry, comix, even feathery shitbird movies. I guarantee you, it bothers me a whole lot more than it bothers anyone else. I know, while it's true that I'm very disturbed by the advancing shadow of the corporate police state and, however marginally, have to participate in this maddening political debate, I am also profoundly lazy and spend far too much time mucking in the muck when I could otherwise be working on my own, creative projects. So no promises but, rest assured, the matter is under consideration. So, okay. Stories is it? Here's a short one I just heard, a true story as a matter of fact. It will have to do for moment.

My son and his wife ran into David Letterman the other day. They were just starting out on the South Fork trail of Montana's Bob Marshall Wilderness for a five day backpacking trip when a guy wearing chaps and a "Late Show" tshirt, came walking down the trail leading his horse and a small group of riders who were following behind. Naturally J. and A. moved out of the way to let the horse party pass. As the guide got closer they exchanged the usual, "Hi. Thanks. No problem. How are you? Fine. Thanks. How are you"s. It was then they noticed that the guy was none other than CBS Late Show host David Letterman. Now J. and A. are low key people, students at the U of M in Missoula, and not the kind to stop a stranger for a photo op, even David Letterman roughin' it behind a goatee. The next person to pass was a kid about eighteen. J. said to him, "Hey was that David Letterman?" The kid said, "Yes." Then J. asked where they'd been to which he replied, "Oh I don't know. Somewhere out in the Bob".

Yesterday, I promised W.T. "feathery goodness" but my doctor's appointment in Reno turned into a grueling all day errand quest so today, for you W.T. and Roy, I posted an all new, exciting adventure from the Bird Park.

The Waffle and the Crow
01:29











backpacking

No comments: