12/04/2007

Vonnegut, last words


Kurt Vonnegut's last book, “A Man Without a Country”, was a collection of biographical essays. It concludes with his poem "Requiem" and so, in a public sense, these could be considered his last words.

on Comedy Central
excerpt from New York Times Book section



closing lines from....
Requiem
by Kurt Vonnegut

When the last living thing
has died on account of us,
how poetical it would be
if Earth could say,
in a voice floating up
perhaps
from the floor
of the Grand Canyon,
“It is done.”
People did not like it here.







4 comments:

Anonymous said...

He kept me company back in the early Seventies.

-Roy

asha said...

I think he is going to be keeping people company for a long time.

someone said...

I carried Cat's Cradle with me like a secret through my teens and early twenties.

Anonymous said...

Wow.

I haven't read his work in a while. I gotta get that book...