29/04/2007

Strange days

I have been too swamped the last few days to spend any time on line, but I always have my camera with me so here are a few strange things I came upon in recent days.


I can't imagine how hanging strips of toilet paper from the supermarket ceiling is suppose to be attractive to people but obviously the manager at the local Raley's finds it so. To me it merely underscores the obvious connection between eating and shitting.



The Salvation Army had this neat item for sale. No. I didn't buy it. The Raley offered enough virtual reality for my "taste" this week, thank you.



As I do from time to time, I visited the grave of the unknown baby boy who died in the '60s. There is no name on his marker and he only lived a couple of days. I'm not the only one in town who looks in on him. The cartoon drawn on the scrap of wood is new since my last visit but I was alarmed to see tire tracks across the lower, right edge of his tiny resting place. The images came out very bleached and over exposed which seems to fit the melancholy shrouding his little grave.





2 comments:

Roy said...

Where is this grave, Asha? I mean, not how to get there, but is it in the open somewhere? Is it on private property?

And, yeah, it looks like some kids sneaked in while the night shift was sleeping and TP'd the place.

asha said...

The grave is in the local public cemetery, in the open, haphazard second row from the back fence. I think of it as the pauper's row as it is home to several uncared for plots. Naturally, the baby's grave is especially touching and I cannot help filling in the story behind his very short life and abandonment.