10/04/2007

Then and now

I brought back one of my mother's old photo albums from Seattle. It is what she wanted by her side as she lay in her death bed the final days of her life. The memories made her happy. The cover is missing, many of its black pages are torn or loose and they are simultaneously brittle and alarmingly soft. The whole thing is gradually disappearing with the passing years. My brother asked me to scan what is left of them before they are beyond capture. They are lovely. They have haunted me ever since I saw them there at the hospital so, a few years ago, I wrote a poem for them and her and today I joined them together. I hope you enjoy them.


6 comments:

msb said...

A hauntint vignette with a preternatural sensibility.

Geeky Tai-Tai said...

I'm so sorry for your loss. I love the way you've captured the spirit of her with this photo and your poem. Beautiful, and I'm crying.

someone said...

I love those clothes. nice image. Thank you for the glimpse. Immortal.

Anonymous said...

So sweet and beautiful that is.

Sal said...

Poignant. Very. Thanks, Asha.

asha said...

Thanks, all. I'm glad I could contribute something to your day.