29/07/2007

Baby birds and elephants



Scientific American posted an article today dispelling the myth that baby birds and other little critters that have strayed or fallen from their nest
will be rejected by their parents if touched by humans. The good news is: THEY WON'T BE REJECTED BY THEIR PARENTS! You can safely return a fallen fledging to its home. Just be very careful to not disturb the nest. Parents do find that upsetting and may move everyone, including the returned baby, but not without great trouble. I wish I'd known this when I was kid. I still remember agonizing over downed baby birds that died because we didn't put them back in the nest. All those sad, shoe box beds, digging worm, soaking bread in water only to find the poor thing dead by morning.




Okay then. For my proxy amends, I voted for the Elephant Sanctuary again. There's only 3 days left to help them win the $100,000. In case you're wondering if the Sanctuary makes proper use of their funds, they get top rating from Charity Navigator. Be sure and vote everyday!








No comments: