31/07/2010

Poetry: lost & found

I was dinking around online this morning, yeah searching for myself. So what? Who hasn't? Geeze.... the voices in my head are so rude! Anyway, I came up with this. I had not only forgotten I'd written it, I'd forgotten about the blog I posted it on (IndieWriters) and the google group of the same name. Well, I actually haven't forgotten about the google group of the same name. It just made for better sentence flow to add that. I haven't forgotten about the group but I never go there. But I'm not giving it up. It's a good and appropriate name, one I thoroughly identify with but it joins a host of other online entities I have launched and abandoned, space junk, ephemeral moons sharing my orbit. In my mind's eye they are covered with glittering space dust, a pretty sight out here where earth night fades into deep space.


Excerpt from an unfinished, unnamed collection

Reconstruction

One word, one sentence at a time I will reconstruct the story. I've written it before on countless scraps of paper. One word, one sentence at a time I will reconstruct the story. Forgive me. It is composed of a seemingly endless succession of beginnings. The original order of the words has been lost. I rely on you to supply the details. One word, one sentence at a time I will reconstruct the story. Forgive me. The original has been lost but I promise to stay true to its drift. That is not a matter of memory. It is a matter of being. One world at, one word at a time. Forgive me. The original version of this story does not exist. One word, one sentence at a time, this is its drift. This is the drift. The notes are scattered. No. Not scattered. The notes were never collected. Jotted. Scribbled. On scraps, in notebooks, on flaps. They have never been collected. They have seldom been re-read. Or read. The words, disjointed, have been set down and abandon. No, not abandon. There is much thinking between them, the phrases, the paragraph and elimination of words. And ideas. "Why?" I am telling a story. Build the house. Paint it later. And later still introduce the particulars. Each letter reverberates but ... I digress.

asha

4 comments:

Roy said...

At first I thought you were searching for yourself, in the "California" sense of the word, then I realized you were searching for yourself. So I did, too, and found truth and "rightness," which I thought was pretty cool, along with some days on the Zoroastrian calendar, also cool--he was the guy with the sword, right?

Then I read your excerpt again, and I don't claim to understand it, but it had a nice ring. Seriously.

asha said...

Thanks, Roy. I trust your sense of things.

As for Zoroastrian calendar? Dunno anything about the guy but I do know that the meteor 2002 QY6 just missed Earth by a mere twenty-one million, four hundred thousand km so that's good.

Roy said...

meteor 2002 QY6

I thought I was just having a bad hair day.

asha said...

Roy, I suspect earth's near brushes with meteors is the true but hidden cause of bad hair days.