13/07/2010

You can't edit a blank page


I need a reader. This spring I finally dug up and printed out my now four-year-old NaNoWriMo manuscript and am currently halfway through the first read. Other than being determined to make the required word count, having had no expectations from the start is a good thing. The fact that I can read it at all is encouraging but it's a slow go. Thus far, I have managed only two sessions, months apart. I am surprised to find that it amuses me. This morning one particular section had me laughing out loud. Why can't that be enough? I said from the beginning that there would be no plot but, now that the manuscript exists, it needs one. Why does this all have to be so goddamn complicated? I read the funny part to Mr. Lee this morning but he wants a story goddammit. I'll read it when it has one. He's not a first draft kind of guy. That fucker would red pen a suicide note.


So I am half way through the first read and won't inflict it on anyone at the moment, but I need a reader. Okay. Okay. So that reader will have the same response as Mr. Lee, but WTF?! I have assembled 50,000, 12 pt. words on 197 double spaced, one inch margin pages. What else do you want from me? Blood? I know. A plot. And there is one, buried throughout the manuscript, like a dismembered body. Yes. Yes. I must sew my Frankenstein together but what the hell? That's work. Anyway, somewhere along the line I am going to need a reader, not a teacher, a reader. Doesn't every writer get a reader? I need a sounding board, someone to complete the loop between the ears, self to self, heart to head, someone who can help piece together the map of the story, the one I wrote in invisible ink, tore into tiny pieces and ate. Anyway, it's too soon for a reader. Just thinking out loud.

3 comments:

Kimberlee said...

I too believe Mr Lee would red pen a suicide note but it's out of love and respect:)

I can read! But most people find my comments harsh maybe it would be best to find someone you don't know for a truly honest opinion? And someone who can use punctuation better than me!

At the very least congratulate yourself on the sheer magnitude of words you have compiled together these days the most I can do is responses to other people's creativity:(

Bueno mi amiga

asha said...

Hi Kimberlee, indeed... love and respect and I am always the better off for it, and grateful once my ego stops smarting. That's the hard part.

Yes, you would be a good reader, once and if (big if) I impose some order on this thing. Thanks. Currently, I am just reading it myself for the first time but I will keep your very generous offer in mind. Gracias.

Buen día a usted también, mi amiga.

someone said...

Sure. But you know how mean I am.