30/09/2010

Best laid plans


Good-bye baby turtles running to the sea. Good-by glassy blue water that is but a rumor to me. Good-bye Capuchin and Howler monkeys. Good-bye frogs, coati and boas. Maybe another time? We are not sure where we will go, maybe home, but Costa Rica is a mess, roads washed out, mudslides, swollen rivers. And, as in all of Centroamerica, you are on your own. Traffic continues to move over roads that have been undercut by slides and already beginning to drop into burgeoning sinkholes. Mr. Lee blames me. Every time we get near the Caribbean the place is ravaged by rain and hurricanes. Last time we tried was during Hurricane Wilma. Not that we wanted to go there but even Cancun was shut down. We managed to camp on a wild beach though and I got a good poem out of it but ultimately the storms won, chasing us out early, leaving behind the two starving beach dogs we had befriended. It was so sad watching them in the rear view mirror as they ran down the mud puddle road after us.


4 comments:

Don said...

I envy your adventures as only a man can who is strapped into an armchair.

asha said...

Don, even if you're house were on your back, consider the humble tortoise.

Kristiana said...

i can't take the dogs running after you. I am going to bed. sigh.

asha said...

Kristiana: Oh dear. I wish you hadn't read that tonight. Sleep well and feel better in the morning. We gave those two little dogs a lot of tasty food while we were there. They hated to see us go but they were getting by. You know I do my best to put a smile on every dog's face I possibly can. Kisses.