23/10/2012

Diane Keaton at the Getty Villa

Diane Keaton got in the elevator at the Getty Villa the other day and after it began its descent to the parking garage she turned to me and said, "You have great hair".  I was on the phone but smiled and said "Thank you". "No. I mean it", she said. "You have really... great ... hair."  Trust me. She knows how to make a point. I told her I thought she looked great herself, all around, clothes, hair, hat, face... everything.

Earlier that afternoon I'd noticed her in the gallery, not because she was Diane Keaton, M. Lee's mom told me that later, but because she was someone over 40 who was simultaneously eccentric, youthful, hip, elegant and, most importantly, unpretentious.

She said something else, I don't remember exactly, but then I joked about how she had made my day because now I had a Diane Keaton story I could tell my friends. I regretted letting on that I knew who she was. It just wasn't the point.


5 comments:

Roy said...

That's even better than just seeing a celebrity. That's like me meeting Russell
Crowe in the elevator and he tells me I look like a badass.

Roy said...

. . . except, of course, you actually have great hair, and I am not a badass.

asha said...

Then again, I suspect that actually you are a badass.

Kimberlee said...

You do have great hair and I like that you embrace the unpredictability of the curls I haven't quite come around. I do daily battle with the curls, still maybe one day I will be more zen with my approach.......or not?

asha said...

You have great hair, zen or not. :)