10/12/2017

Bird Park December update

It can be confusing first thing in the morning determining just which peanut is the biggest and best and, while sleep is still in your eyes, it's hard picking up two or three nuts at a time, especially when other birds are fussing all around but it can be done. Today is our fourth morning home and the Bird Park is in full swing.

We've been gone for six months but, as usual, Maggie the 7 o'clock Magpie, showed up the first morning we were back. She's always got half an eye on the place. The little birds, doves and quail appeared a couple of days later. They are out there now pecking away at apples and seed. Today was the first time a whole tiding of magpies came. Grackles showed up about 20 minutes in. I hope they stick around after breakfast and chat awhile. Their conversations are enchanting. Oh and seems Rosie the skunk is still here. She woke me up two nights ago fighting with someone. She sprayed the hell out of them. I believe she may have taken up residence under the house in what was BoB's old place. The horrible neighbor cats may have gotten him but, by the smell of things, they won't be getting Rosie anytime soon. This will be interesting. We'll have to relocate her at some point, just not today.

The only guys I haven't seen yet are the crows. They're always the last to arrive. Very careful, the crows. Smart. We might not see them before we leave for Oregon on Wednesday but we'll be here this winter so, I'm sure at some point, they'll make an appearance as well as a hawk or two. They come to the valley for calving season but that's another story. The tiding is gone now but Maggie is still here. How do I know it's her? She's my girl, the fat one . . . first to arrive, last to go.

2 comments:

Roy said...

Welcome back to North America!
I am still waiting to see a bald eagle from my living room window--I have a camera at the ready, sitting on the bookshelf there. I am told there are some around but so far all I've seen are these little tiny birds.

asha said...

Good luck with the bald eagle. Always good to keep binocs and camera handy. You never know who might fly by. I'm always on the look out for the big guys too ... so I can chase them off. Someone always, not stumbles on but ... glides by .... the Bird Park during calving season. For them it's like a fast food joint. Certainly I'm not against a hawk having an honest meal but it's not fair hunting in the Bird Park. It's not natural so I invite the big birds to piss off.

And thanks for the welcome home. :) Are you all tucked into your new place now? By the photos you've posted things are looking pretty cozy.