23/06/2021

Summer solstice two days late

Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying the longest day of year 2021 north of the equator was two days late. I am late writing about it, which I think is a first since I started this blog 18 years ago. 

It was an odd oversight as I've been watching sunlight slowly move north for months, waiting for it to finally shine on Plantie. She's the little rescue plant I moved to the narrow gorilla garden along the wall of the parking lot across the street. Others have planted things there as well so it seemed okay. She had outgrown her pot and was beginning to die. The biggest problem in this tiny garden is that a wall shades it most of the year. 

It was only as summer solstice drew near that Plantie and her companions finally got to enjoy the sun's early morning rays, which they say is like mother's milk to growing things. Now that this singular moment has passed, the shade will soon return. 

I miss having my own garden, such is apartment life, but how did I miss the solstice? I was distracted, rushed, busy from the beginning of that day to its end when I finally went to bed. First it was with one of my ongoing medical issues, it sucks getting old, followed by two meetings in a row. I intend to die with my boots on.


2 comments:

Roy said...

Perhaps it is appropriate to contemplate how these events in the enormous mechanism of the galaxy continue and cycle whether anyone is watching or not, and how in our arrogance we might begin to think that they won't. Maybe, in that contemplation, there's a certain restfulness and ease to be found in the knowledge that it did, and it will. We can celebrate that it happened without us! I, for one, slept through it.
It forgives us, although probably only because it knows it didn't matter.

asha said...

:) YES! Exactly. And that fact is hilarious and wonderful!