26/08/2004

Crow's Breath

This morning it was cold enough to see a crow's breath. I've never noticed a crow's breath before. I've never noticed any bird's breath before. It was a cool way to start the day.

The crows are here a lot. They're intelligent. They can make and use tools. They're social. They can learn words. Perhaps I can strike up an acquaintance with one; share some small talk now and then. I'm not a full on birdwatcher but the crows are here anyway so what the heck? It's not a formal project but perhaps the birds and I will have a little fun. It's a chance that it's always the same crow on roof broadcasting the morning news so I'll start with her.

Also, speaking of birds.... Plonk and his girlfriend were here this morning for breakfast, so she's okay after all.

"It was the saying of Bion, that though boys throw stones at frogs in sport, yet the frogs do not die in sport but in earnest." --Plutarch

2 comments:

someone said...

Got some more nuts today, and old jars at a yard sale. I'll consider the relative value of mice if our friendship hangs in the balance. I'm not sure though. They're opportunistic, and I hate that about living things.

asha said...

Very cool, although our friendship certainly doesn't hang in any balance. For me, I'd much rather have mice in my pantry then George "Women" Bush and his corporate, neo con cronnies. How many nuts do you think they'd leave? Anyway, there is something to say for the stand alone value of compassion. As for glass jars filled with tasty treats? Definitely inspiring.

Ps. Just don't tell me about the cockroaches. ;)