08/02/2007

Bathtub bass


There's a bass fiddle in my bathtub...
It used to belong to Lee's old bebop beatnik dad. He gave it to us a couple of years ago, keep or sell, after replacing it with a smaller, Chinese bass, easier to play given his advanced arthritis. We took it to LA and got it appraised. That's it. It's been in the bathtub ever since. I tried to interest Roy in buying it the other day. He just purchased a lovely fender deluxe and thought he might like a mellow, old, hand-made German bass to go along with it but he claims he's "lookin' to start smaller -- maybe a fiddle in a sink. Or castanets in a teacup." I wish someone would buy the damn thing. I want to take a bath. Let me know if you're interested. We'll make you a helluva deal. Otherwise I suppose I could try Craig's List.

As for the rain, the icons lied. Second day, nice steely gray sky but not a drop.












6 comments:

Anonymous said...

"There's a bass fiddle in my bathtub" always sounds like the opening line of a children's rhyme.

There's a bass fiddle in my bathtub

Once played by a second-hand queen.

No.

Roy

asha said...

There must be a connection between the bass fiddle in the bathtub and the second hand queen. How can it be otherwise?

Anonymous said...

The question being, which one was the undoing of the other?

Roy

asha said...

Yes, there is something tragic about both. This requires some thought.

Don said...

We already have a Sousaphone. Though it's tempting to expand our collection of oversized instruments into the string family, I think you should instead find a high school to lend it to. Ours' jazz band uses a stand-up bass, and it adds a wonderful touch. Or not a high school (they're hard on things) but surely a local musician could find a use? Instruments are to be played. (Don't listen to me, we have two trombones and a banjo.)

asha said...

Instruments do need to be played. I feel rather guilty for letting this fine old fiddle languish in the tub. I'd sure like to sell it but apparently not enough to put it on Craig's list. I did offer it to a couple of musicians I know but that didn't go anywhere. Lee was going to learn how to play it, bought a stand but then never took it out of the box. Too bad you're not interested. It would go well with the two trombones, banjo and sousaphone.