06/04/2007

Haste makes ...



Ten minutes before the NAC deadline this evening I ran up the stairs to their office clutching my still drying submissions packet but half way up I tripped and crushed it with both my hands. I smoothed it out although it instantly went from a nice, clean envelope to looking like it had been in the back of a pick-up truck for a week. I made it in the door, they stamped it and that was that until about an hour later when I realized that, due to a last minute edit, I had included a duplication and therefore failed to meet the criteria of 10 poems. Fucking Lovely. Have I learned anything besides the fact that I am an arrogant idiot? Perhaps. How about give yourself enough time to do it right ... or ... pay attention ... or don't run on the stairs. Anyway, I got several new poems out of the deal so I'm not complaining plus I finally opened my NaNoWriMo manuscript from last fall and didn't want to commit suicide after reading a few paragraphs. I just got home after reading some of the new work at Comma Coffee's open mike. It helped me come down a bit. I am still rattling off of the caffeine and adrenalin high. I want to grow up now.


6 comments:

Stella said...

Yikes, you sound like you've had a bit of a hard day. Well, stay positive! BTW, Hope you can visit my blog: veronica-faye.blogspot.com

Kristiana said...

'bout time...

Geeky Tai-Tai said...

I'm a nervous wreck after reading this post! I'm glad that you were able to get something out of the whole ordeal.

Roy said...

At least you didn't run with scissors.

someone said...

You are grown up. This is it. I'd sure like to see that NaNoWriMo. Yup. I sure would.

asha said...

Roy: scissors would have been a very bad idea, indeed.

Someone: Don't tell me that. Oh god. It can't be true.