29/06/2010

Babies and Baglady Buddha



Reentry is hard. Extended travel changes the mind. In fact, I don't think you really ever quite change back or want to. I haven't, don't. I didn't leave the country this time but, being gone even a month, I felt pretty detached when I got home and now Mr. Lee is going through it. And he really went feral, I will say that. Reentry takes time. Easy for me to say. I get to go to San Antonio tomorrow for a few days. It's a drag that I am leaving so soon after his return but that's the way it is. And besides, a couple of days alone to sweat it out may do him good. And I will be home Sunday. BTW, he has promised me one last post, a follow-up and recap of his travels, so stay tuned. And yes, I am still waiting for some damn photos.


Anyway, the big news is that we have our first two families of quail babies, just hatched, still rumpled and fuzzy, just....just out of the egg. They are out running around as I write this and too cute for words so here are some blurry photos instead. More to come, unless (and until) the neighborhood cats eat them. These little guys are like popcorn to those bastards. If you have a cat, for god's sake, put bells on 'em. They kill everything in the vicinity, just because they can. By the way, those are not weeds you see in the photos. It's a wildlife corridor/cat baffle for the quail. And besides the quail, there are a couple of very noisy magpie babies and some young 'un crows in the neighborhood, all somewhere in their terrible twos (months) that squawk all day long. But I love it. It a bit of jungle here in the desert.


It just occurred to me I am very in the rears with photos myself. I haven't even posted anything from the Reno Spoken Word event I read at a couple of weeks ago. So here's one and a promise for more, redeemable at your local Language Barrier outpost trading company store sometime in the future. I call her the Baglady Buddha. Is that disrespectful? Would the Buddha mind? No mind.


WTF? What the hell back hand, left hand mudra is that, Baglady Buddha?

6 comments:

Roy said...

This rare post deserves more than such a quick comment, but until I return, I have to say that once I put a bell on my black cat. The very next day I observed him stalking a squirrel, moving ve-eeeery slowly and ve-eeeeery smoothly, the bell, tied to my cat's neck, gliding along its path two inches above the ground without changing its aspect, silent as death, moving ever closer to the hapless squirrel. I won't go on. Anyway, the bell did make a little jingle, eventually, but it was too late.

asha said...

Ahhhh.... a sad but true story. Thanks. Yes. Cats. I love them but no way around it. They are bastards.

Roy said...

I didn't mean to be insensitive. But yes, cats are just cats. Nature's gangsters.

Kimberlee said...

Tell Mr Lee that silence, fresh air and tap water - you drink water from the tap where you live right? I never know these days.....anyways these things seem to make my re-entries much smoother especially the tap water it's bliss after traveling:)

asha said...

Thanks, Kimberlee. I will pass your tips along. And yes, we do drink from the tap and, like you, I do not take it for granted!

asha said...

Roy, no offense taken. As you say, cats are, well, cats and we have no choice but to take them on their terms, nature's little gangsters, and love them just the same although I did, at the request of a very irritated magpie, have to get out bed early this morning and chase two of the little hoodlums back over the fence.