07/06/2010

Woman in the Wall



So here I am on what I promised would be an Epic American Road Trip (implying, of course, that I would be sure to post the adventures here) and nary a word. Of course you understand that I was being ironic. I have no money so that severely limits my options along the way but the universe compensated. Thanks universe. I've got your back. Anyway here's a quick update for the record.

As the fates would have it, I hooked up with an old friend while I was in Ashland. She was on the loose and up for an adventure and, in a happy synchronicity, her dad called and offered the use of his garage apartment for first two weeks in June. So here we are. Richmond, CA. In the hood. Other than someone squeezing off several rapid fire rounds yesterday it's been really quiet. At night the stranded earth out the window becomes a streetlight lit savanna for the neighborhood cats; in the day it returns to a sad parcel of earth defined by opposing chain link fences. The cats don't mind. Neither does the earth who watches it all come and go.

I read poetry at an open mic in Berkeley the other day. The group's host said he'd like to invite me back to be a featured reader sometime next winter. Great, though from here winter seems a long way off. We went to a Thai place afterward for dinner. Terrific. My new friends. Tonight I am hoping to read at another open mic in Berkeley. This is, after all, the point.

8 comments:

Don said...

Fabtastic. Where in Berkeley? My father was tromping around Richmond once upon a time. But then he graduated high school and went off to become an electrician's mate first class in the South Pacific. That was in 1944. Oh, and my great-grandfather was on the city council and got to take his turn in the rotating mayor's seat. That was in 1927.

The place has changed since then.

Roy said...

Cool. The universe aint' so bad . . .

At least you seem capable of a blog entry.

someone said...

Will you be back up for Thea's party?

asha said...

Don: The place really has changed. The bastards even turned People's Park into a parking lot.

Roy: Funny how soothing it was. Does this mean I'm addicted to blooging? Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo....

Judy: Unfortunately no. Are you?

msb said...

tramping about the bay area with a point, nice:)

asha said...

msb: Right. Tromping around anywhere with a point is definitely a step up for me. ;)

Mr. Donut said...

I myself care a great deal for visual media. Perhaps, since you are reading and not writing, you could pop off a little comic...

asha said...

Mr. Donut, I like that image. Hmmmmmm.....now that you mention it......perhaps......