14/07/2010

Texas to Taxco

Here are a few photos from my recent trip to San Antonio.

Bunny Bob does Hard Rock Cafe.

Bunny Bob came with me to San Antonio but once there he dumped me for my friend Katie. He's no fool. Purple is her favorite color. She always wears, or at the very least, has purple at hand... plus she's a costumer at the Oregon Shakespeare Festival. With her he will have a steady supply of cool purple pants and a booth at the Oregon Country Fair. Actors. But I gave him my blessing because, in fact, Katie can give him a better life but I am going to get him the purple car. It's not that I'm trying to buy his love. No really.

What can I say? I love birds.


My kind of place.

Being vegetarian, I found the food in San Antonio atrocious. Actually it's a Texas thing. Anyway, their specialty, of course, is BBQ flesh followed closely by very greasy Mexican cuisine. The first night I had a supposedly grilled, but in fact drenched in oil, veggie casadilla. I gave most of it to the birds and poisoned myself with the greasy chips and yummy salsa instead. After that I lived on Subway sandwiches and Hard Rock Cafe veggie burgers and fries. Mmmmmm fries. Very bad. Anyway, the Animal Puppet Theater made up for all that. I spied it in a window below the sidewalk embedded in hand-chiseled stone wall along some metal stairs leading down to a very funky basement "souvenir" shop, the kind that seems a front for something else, perhaps the after hours voodoo market?

Now for three perfunctory Alamo art shots. You didn't think you'd get off that easy, did you?




And two perfunctory shots of San Antonio's River Walk.




Actually, the River Walk was really cool and, even better, it reminded me of Taxco, one of my all time favorite cities. If I ever run away from it all, Taxco is on my top three places to disappear into.

Taxco... my fantasy escape.

The dog on the top of the stairs is Martha, my friend from the restaurant.







6 comments:

Kimberlee said...

Your Alamo shots are very calendar worthy:) But my fav is Martha I'm such a dog lover!!!

asha said...

Thanks. Me too. I love Martha. She and her friend followed us most of the way home and lingered on the top of the stairs for a long time then her friend took off, but Martha stayed, as I did I until she too finally went on her way. Such a sweetheart. I was very sad to see her go.

Kimberlee said...

Yeah tonight Diesel ate my niece's cupcake, she had almost finished it, and then gave me this look - sad face ears pulled down knowing he did something naughty but just couldn't resist the temptation and my heart melted.

Lesson learned AGAIN: don't leave food at Diesel's nose level - it's unsafe!

asha said...

Exactly. After all, how can you blame Diesel? He's an innocent.... or is he?

Don said...

I walked around the Riverwalk one night in April when my train stopped at the station for ninety minutes, just long enough to take a few pictures and find a liquor store and get back and find no one wanted to stay up late with me and drink.

asha said...

Don, interesting place isn't it? It's another world along the River Walk.