26/09/2010

Crack in the world



Good-bye gopher tortoises. Good-by dolphins. Good-bye manatee. Good-bye herons, pelicans, ibises, dunlins, cranes, coots, terns, egrets, gulls, plovers, cormorants, skimmers, frigates, sandpipers, ducks and loons. Good-bye love bird vultures. Good-bye scary hawk. Good-bye pigeons and crows. Good-bye needle fish, jelly fish, off shore fish and clams. Good-bye crazy little cicada. I love your music. Good-bye baby turtles I did not see. Good luck to you all. Bon voyage, little lizard as you float away in the sea. Better luck next time, my friend.

We are sitting at the Orlando airport waiting for our flight to Costa Rica. Not much more to say about that. We will be in CR three weeks, part of that time on it's east coast. Maybe we'll get lucky there and see some baby turtles making their mad dash to the sea. It is still the season.


Good-bye, Florida. Maybe see you again someday.


About the photo of the jetty and sailboat. It is strangely otherworldly but I swear I did not shop it. I think what happened is that, as I waved the camera around as I do, I aimed it at a crack in the world and by chance, in that lucky fraction of a second, photographed it.

As for the crow, she is holding a sea grape that she won from a gull... not an eye.


7 comments:

Roy said...

Very nice picture, however it came about. Don't fall through the crack, though.

Kristiana said...

what an ominous, creepy, symbolic picture - the blind crow holding an eyeball. yikes, you should be worried.

as for as the other picture, i don't get it! what is strange about it? it just looks like a straight shot of water craft. am i missing something?

Kristiana said...

Roy - what happened to your blog?

Roy said...

The boat picture is phantasmagoric--due to the unnaturally balanced light, the featureless horizon, perhaps the sparseness, the undefined sky . . . No?

The crow is creepy, true.

The blog is gone yes. I'm trying something.

Anonymous said...

Kristiana, I can't explain it any better than Roy already has. The light balance seems very strange, phantasmagorical as he says. It doesn't look like water to me. In fact, it doesn't even look like this world to me but once again... eye of the beholder which brings us to the crow.

Asha

Kimberlee said...

Hasta luego mi amiga. Espero su viaje de Costa Rica es bueno. Quiero ir a Costa Rica pero tengo trabajar:(

Instead the Arayas will invade Maui at the end of November for the first time ever to Hawaii.

My camera is broken at the moment so please feel free to click away an extra few for me especially in CR where everywhere you looks seems like a fantasy!

Por favour dije "Hola" a Senor Lee

asha said...

Hey Kimberlee! Wish you were here but, trust me, Maui is better. I suppose Ricardo will give Reid his first surfing lesson?

Sorry. I don't have my cool little stealth camera with me so no photos for the moment. San Jose is just not the place to be waving stuff like that around. It's very photogenic but pretty rough.

Mr. Lee says hi back. And hi to Ricardo! Tener un buen viaje!