21/12/2011

Winter Solstice 2011

Okay. It's nearly midnight but I don't like to see a Winter Solstice pass without wishing you a good day and new year. Of course this Solstice marks the beginning of the final countdown to the end of the Mayan Long Count Calendar (5125 ears long) and some say the end of time and life on earth. It's always something.

And tonight I learned that Al Linde, an old friend, died about a week ago. Seems he was on blood thinners following knee surgery in preparation for the new baseball season, suffered a freak accident blow to the head and just bled out. WTF, Al?!

5 comments:

Paula said...

Happy Solstice! And I'm sorry to hear about your friend.

Roy said...

Happy solstice! As we careen off the rail and into the side pocket--or shall we liken it more to a cosmic roller coaster?--sling-shot around into a more favorable inclination, let's do it screaming, arms up, and later go get some cotton candy.

Don said...

A week seems a long time to not know about a friend's death and for that reason I feel terrible. It has been over a week and few of my father's friends know about it. Well, I've got excuses (they have to do with time and emotion and general not-getting-it-togetherness), but in hindsight they're not very good ones. Condolences to you, and maybe I should go make some calls now, or at least write that form email.

Kristiana said...

Happy Solstice. I'm sorry to hear about your friend.

someone said...

aw. that's too bad. modern medicine at its finest: risk vs. benefit.
On to longer days...