16/07/2016

Change, the only constant


Wrong again. Why did I think life on Alligator Creek would always be the same? Nothing is ever the same. I'm not saying things always get worse, or that they are, but they do always change.

For one thing, Thea Bella and her mom are here with us this summer. Thea is now seven and is, as always, a delight though she manages to kick my ass nearly every time we play Sleeping Queens.

Great Blue Heron
& the old man by the sea.
On the other hand, Sonny has been gone since the 4th of July. That changes things. He was Alligator Creek's version of middle-aged Florida Man; a 50 something guy who, after countless misadventures, had been basically living on his parent's screen porch . . . for years. When he got going with his wild stories of the past or absurd plans for the future, whether on the phone or to his mom, the whole neighborhood could hear him. It didn't seem to bother him so what the hell? It was fun listening. Is he gone for good? Who's to say?

On the other hand, I happy to note that the great blue heron and the old man are both still around (see photo from a couple of years ago).  I saw the old fellow on the ferry to the beach. He still goes early and leaves by noon. The great blue heron is a little harder to catch up with but the other morning I saw him fishing along his usual lonely stretch of beach.

As for the squirrel scene, since a hawk got Frida a few years ago, I keep that on the down low, no more all day peanuts. It's safer that way. I put some nuts and seeds out in the morning and that's it. It took awhile but eventually one squirrel discovered them and was my only guest for nearly a week, then it was two, now sometimes four or five come by briefly in the morning.

2 comments:

Roy said...

I had forgotten about Frida, (rip) as well as the knee jerk reaction I had to that Type2Diabetes guy in the comments from that old post. I just went back and read his web site--don't know why he tripped my trigger like that back then. As a matter of fact, I just now learned (or relearned) that in people taking metformin, vitamin B12 uptake is diminished. So I went to look at the ingredients list of my one-a-days, and Lo and Behold in the array of medications in the cupboard, there were no vitamins at all. I had run out, and forgot to replace them, and then just forgot about them. What the ...
Glad for the most part the gangs all there. Sonny Boy has perhaps run off to materialize some absurd plan or other. We'll keep our fingers crossed.
Good that you help the squirrels out like you do, but not so much that they loose their edge.

asha said...

Ah yes... the troll I let slide just because he said something nice about squirrels or something like that. In retrospect, it's embarrassing but now it's history.

Good new . . . Sonny Boy returned. I'd post a photo of Dad's Lincoln when I get a good one.