24/10/2006

Jiggidy jog




I went to Portland this weekend to visit my daughter and Clark and meet the new in-laws-to-be. True to the rumor, Clark's parents are lovely, smart, down to earth, friendly, progressive, talented, generous, thoughtful people. Grown-ups. Basically I think I did okay. I don't feel like a grown-up most of the time but I'm getting better at pretending. Other than a mini rant or two about the Neo-fascist republican party and their idiot, criminal leader George Warmonger Bush, things went pretty well. I have a feeling they were forewarned. Most importantly, they seem to love and accept me wee one as one of their own, as well they should.


Other than that, we spent a lot of time at various Portland wifi cafes. My daughter had a paper to write. Worked for me. Since moving to Nevada I suffer from small town claustrophobia so it was a real treat. JudyBlueSky joined us for awhile at one. She's an old friend from southern Oregon and a writer and one of the only people to visit me since I moved. She read in a Reader's Theatre event I organized at Comma Coffee.


And I got to see Edison. Apparently he waited hours in the driveway for us to arrive. I swear he knew I was bringing him a puppet. Asia said he read my email but I think it's a heart thing. He started the happy doggie dance as soon we pulled into the driveway and all the way into the house he tried wheedling his nose into my suitcase looking for The Puppet. I know he's a charmer with several girlfriends wrapped around his golden paw but I'm ok with that. I have more puppets.


Oregon is lovely under it's comforter of clouds. Portland is a very hip city and it was wonderful being able to spend a little time with my daughter and Clark but it was good to head back over the mountains into the sun. However, I find that traveling sometimes suspends one's resolve. That's why last night was Pie Night. Of course it's fine to enjoy a tasty piece of pie now and then. Clark's parents served homemade apple pie on Saturday night that his mom made from their own, homegrown apples. What's scary for addictive types like me is to own a pie as one pie leads to another. However, the morning after Pie or Ice Cream Night, if anything is left, I generally have a brief window of sanity, about an hour, during which I can dispose of the night's leftovers. After that both Mr. Lee and I are locked into eating it all. This morning was successful. The pie went to the Bird Park but there's not much interest in it yet. I stuffed the cool whip and ice cream down the sink so we are back in the safety zone. We'll cry tonight.




I was gone three days and came home to find nearly 4000 pieces of spam email. Spammers are truly the scum of the earth.








No comments: