15/07/2007

Return


Earth dreaming sky
We're back from our shake down trip in the Nevada interior. I'm exhausted. Facing the bitter, sad history of the land, the animals, suspended, crumbling into the vastness, emptied me. Oh yes. It was also invigorating and wonderful. There are a few bugs to still work out but, tor the most part, the new gear worked just fine. It was very different having a base camp instead of changing locations every couple of days. We took on too much, drove to many miles trying to cover too much territory. From now on, with a base camp, we can limit ourselves to a radius and get into the details. We did hike about half way up from the floor of the basin to the Alta Toquima snowman, but didn't make it to the top. Not on the agenda this time, thank the gods.

I took several photos and a few videos. As soon as they are ready, I'll post a few. At the moment, I'm moving pretty slow. Nice to be back but the desert hangs over my head like a vulture reminding me that these towns, these comforts forced upon it are, like everything and everyone that has tried establishing itself in this land, passing.

In a couple of days, we leave for Portland and The Wedding.




5 comments:

msb said...

glad you made it back safe and sound. :+}

asha said...

Thanks, Barbara.

Roy said...

Welcome back. Looking forward to pictures and videos. Did you find any cool rocks?

Don said...

Interested in that homebuilt trailer. If you're in Portland Wednesday, I'll wave as I head back to the airport.

asha said...

Don, seems you're always nearly crossing paths with ghosts from the blogosphere. I'll definitely wave. I'll post more about the trip and trailer but not sure when. The Wedding is coming! The Wedding is coming!