21/11/2010

Philip John Chance, RIP


He died on Halloween and his memorial was on a blue moon and that seems about right.


We went to my cousin Philip's memorial in Lafayette today. He was recuperating from a cycling accident in August then died from a blunt force trauma to the head in the nursing home. He was 53. Police are investigating.

The program from the memorial reads...

"Thank you for coming to remember Philip, the good, the living on the edge, and that he had the courage to even survive as long as he did. We ask that you awaken and practice moments of kindness."

He was brilliant, alcoholic, often homeless (unless you accept the fact that the forest was his home) and apparently lost (unless you accept that he followed his drummer through the Arizona mountains for last 30 years of his life on his bicycle because wanting to and having to were the same thing). I just don't believe it has to cost you your life.

3 comments:

Roy said...

I'm sorry for your loss. I was actually able to find some more information about Philip--he did indeed live a life on the edge, which in its own way is inspiring, and for that we owe thanks. Peace, yes.

asha said...

Roy, thanks. And thanks for the idea about googling him. I found my cousin's article about him.

Yes, peace.

Don said...

I love the memorial suggestion. We can all do that for everyone we ever loved, and more.

One of my ex-stepsisters graduated from Acalanes in 75, or I'm pretty sure of it anyway. It's one of the few high schools from east of the Berk Hills that I'm familiar with, anyway. Oh, maybe my HS girlfriend went there a little bit about that time. I'ono.

A friend of mine went to HS in Brazil about that time. He too speaks Portuguese. His father was USAF but was born in Portugal, and when they go home my friend gets razzed for his Brazilian accent.

Interesting how sometimes a post strikes so many sparks.

I'm not known for supporting traditionally "liberal" social support programs but I've always had a special feeling for the "homeless", as diverse as that group is, and not only from stories such as Philip's. I hope his life had many moments of unalloyed happiness.