11/04/2011

Once upon a time....

Saturday was my last day in Great Falls so we had breakfast at Tracy's, a Montana 24-hour diner that's been serving up distinctly American cuisine for over 50 years. Tracy's is very much old school and proud of it.


For one thing, they don't accept any plastic, neither debit nor credit, only checks and cash. But they do have a website and on it boast about being a "hot spot" at night. Must be true. They have ancient juke boxes in every booth and they still work, kind of.


Ours played music, just not the selections we picked, and nothing modern. Being the last of Montana's old-time diners, Tracy's has appeared in several, as their website says, "old-time movies", including "Holy Matrimony" directed by Leonard Nimoy.
Baby Leo and Mama

Of course Leonard Nimoy has a permanent pass and lifelong honorary hero status but I wasn't surprised to read the following review of  "Holy Matrimony" at IMDB.

Leonard Nimoy directing "Holy Matrimony"

"You sort of find yourself feeling the same way about it that you would about a child's school report read aloud...gently ignoring glaring flaws and nodding encouragingly."


Rumor has it that the cheese at Tracy's is Velveeta but I can not confirm that. I had the white bread French toast which came fried in bacon grease. What other totally '50s things do you notice about this table?


Baby Leo having a story before nap time.
He is a truly sweet little fellow.


10 comments:

Roy said...

That is a formica table top, right? And that must surely be a glimpse of a chromed metal strip around the edge of it that I see.

I have to add here, as a rant, that as I am typing the word verification, an act which due to my advancing age and attendant short term memory loss, requires me to constantly look at it, my computer is helpfully sending up a balloon full of word choices as it anticipates what I am probably trying to spell, which has two problems: 1.) the computer will never, ever guess correctly, of course, and b.) the damn balloon is blocking the damn word so I can't see it anymore and I am forced to rely on my already admittedly faulty short term memory. If you see this comment at all, it will be a damn miracle.

asha said...

Formica table top. Yes! That's one thing I missed. Got any more?

Oh and I've disabled word verification for now. I hate it too. When the spammers start infesting the place again, I may have to bring it back but, for now, have at it.

Roy said...

Jeez, I mean, pretty much the whole tableau. If you ordered a chocolate milkshake, would it come in a glass alongside the remainder of the shake in the stainless steel mixing container--that's the question.

I really don't mind the word verification. It's a good exercise for my short term memory.

Don said...

Another thing is the blatant segregation of black and white in that coffee cup as though it were completely normal.

asha said...

Roy, I agree. Word verificatioin is a good little memory exorcise, also an exorcise in mindfulness. I think I know instead of actually being attentive.

Don, I thought there was something '50ish about the coffee too but couldn't put my finger on it. But, even with that, there are still a couple of things in the photo that are distinctly retro, that I just don't see anymore. Nobody has pointed them out yet.

asha said...

Roy, as soon as I turned off word verification a spammer left a comment about penis enlargements. Blogger marked it for review anyway so that's good enough for now. Just thought you'd like to know they are still out there. Surprised me they found me that fast.

Anonymous said...

Hey - I am really delighted to discover this. Good job!

Roy said...

I sure do miss reading stories to Baby G. Now we just swap stories.

asha said...

Roy, it's the ones that stay out of the swap I worry about. I heard a couple this trip. All I can say is YIKES!

Kimberlee said...

Wow! Love the little face of baby Leo at the diner as he take it all in!!! PRICELESS:)