12/09/2011

Touch down and take off

Tonapah's legendary ghost,
the Lady in Red
I just got back from my bi-annual weekend in lovely Tonopah, semi-ghost town and still and always, Queen of the Silver Camps. Once again, the guy ahead of me in the hotel check-in line won the Tonopah Station lucky roll of the dice free room. I did not, again. But the Big News from Tonopah is that somebody finally bought the Mizpah Hotel, probably for pennies on the dollar, and the place is scheduled to reopen in a couple of weeks. I hope they do better making their deadline than the Belvedere Hotel across the street. The sign announcing the Belvedere's 2008 reopening still hangs on the front of the building above the broken windows, fading into oblivion. This trip, I counted more broken windows at the ol' Belvedere but was puzzled by the lack of pigeons who normally reside there. I am not going to say foul play? No. I will not even think it.

Anyway, the Mizpah wins my Tonopah Zombie Hotels Back from the Dead Award (for the day) so my hat is off to them. I hope I get a chance to tour the place before it closes again. I have been photographing it through the windows for years. I really want to meet the Mizpah's legendary Lady in Red who tragically, in a crime of passion, was murdered on the fifth floor back in the 1920s. It's not because the new owners claim she leaves pearls under people's pillows. I dig ghosts.

Tomorrow we leave again, this time for points north. Got to have tea with Ms. Thea Bella and Baby Leo. I realize I'm pushing the limit still calling Leo a baby now that he's turned one, but come on... I've hardly spent any time with him. Once he starts walking I'll stop. It won't be long. These days it's all he wants to do. So, our odyssey Cross Country American Road Trip (Florida and back again to Washington and back again) won't be officially over until mid-October when Kimberlee, Mr. Reid (he's two) and I do our Portland meet-up.

So, what the hell am I doing fiddling around with my blog? Must. Pack. Now. See you on the road.

6 comments:

Bob said...

The ghost has a neck that would do Queen Nefertiti proud.
Ummm, ghosts. I had one: a sort of demon that would bang loudly on the ceiling. S/he's long gone. It was, if nothing else, amusing and actually I miss its signal thumps that went like exclamation marks. The universe is a mystery...

Roy said...

Have a good trip and have fun with the chillins.

someone said...

when?

asha said...

Bob, that's pretty cool having your own personal ghost. I wonder what happened to her/him.

Roy, thanks. Yes, the chillins. Good gawd they're growing up fast.

someone, we get to Portland on Sunday night. Will call.

Kimberlee said...

Mr Reid is NOT 2!!! He will turn 2 the day after we leave you in Portland in October. His mother is savouring her little almost 2 year old's every moment as I suspect there might be something to these terrible twos rumours.......almost 2!

asha said...

Kimberlee, you are so right. They grow up waaaaay too fast. Can't wait to meet Baby Reid.