“The road from appearance to reality is often very hard and long, and many people make only very poor travelers. We must forgive them when they stagger against us as if against a brick wall.” —Franz Kafka

Thursday, July 10, 2014

My little problem

I am finally having to admit that I have a problem with, how do I say, cameras? It's not a technical problem. It's not the camera. It's me. I'm obsessed with taking photos. It's unmanageable. I spent the day juggling an absurd number of images from the last month alone. I (excuse me. quick pause while I take a couple of photos of some really fabulous clouds in the evening sky) 'm not kidding. It's bad. I am drowning in images. I've got to start dealing with this.

LA at night from a moving vehicle
LA at night from a moving vehicle

7 comments:

Paula said...

Hehe. Not a bad problem to have!

asha said...

Trust me. It's getting ugly. :(

Roy said...

That's why they invented external hard drives. But I don't know what comes after "terrabyte." I think it's megasquilliionbyte. You should get one.

asha said...

Storage really isn't my problem. I have an external hard drive, multiple USB drives, several memory cards and I use various online storage services as well. I haven't found one I really like but I use them anyway. And at home, I have a desktop with lots of memory plus we have an eight terabyte server where, ultimately, everything gets backed up. It's pretty much a bottomless pit. What takes all the time is collecting, sorting, turning, deleting, editing, naming, organizing and tracking the photos, their duplicates, various iterations and folders across different platforms.

Roy said...

I hate to delete pictures--even bad ones. And sometimes I actually do get bored and go through (some of) them and re-crop, etc., and wind up with something I think is interesting.
No--storage is really not the problem. I think it's essentially free, whether you use the cloud of go buy an obscenely large hard drive that could hold the Encyclopaedia Gallactica, (ask Lee) for $79.

Your robot tester is getting strangely easy. Just the pics of the address plaques, and no text at all.

asha said...

My problem is obsessiveness. I just now pulled my head out of the photos I took in LA... turning, lightening, darkening, cropping, making iterations of the same image and researching background information on some of the subjects. I spent the morning reading about the La Brea tar pits, which have seeped into a poem I'm working on, then I really fell in when I started reviewing photos I took at the Hollywood Forever Cemetery. The King of Westwood, Anthony Kaslov, caught my eye, a bigger than life fellow who, whatdoyaknow, died young. I looked online and found him at Find A Grave. Otherwise, nothing. So it goes and with it goes my morning and it's like I got nothing done at all.

asha said...

PS. I suspect when you revealed that the robots only required one of the two CAPTCHAs, they became embarrassed and dropped the game.