25/10/2005

Monkeys in Mexico

Until this trip, I didn´t realize that monkeys are native to North America. But they are, in Mexico. As usual, I don´t have much time but here are a few photos from our visit to the wild life refuge in Tuxtla Gutiérrez, the capital city of Chiapas.

The monkeys at the refuge seemed to enjoy chasing the vultures off who were hanging out in their trees. Next time I have a chance I´ll post some photos I got of them doing that.





Since then we´ve seen wild monkeys around the Mayan ruins of Palenque but, although they stayed right above our heads, I couldn´t get a decent shot of them. Too dark. Monkeys are cool. Their tails are powerful as giant snakes. It was nothing for them to hang upside down, munch a meal and watch us flat-footed, tailless humans far below.

No comments: