08/09/2010

Yard birds


I (heart) Florida cranes

...which, in a round about way, reminds me of this little treasure Mr. Lee included on a Valentine card he made for me one year.

(UPDATE: Seems these birds are actually herons. (blush) Anyway, I heart cranes, herons, vultures, cockroaches. You name it. Life is cool.) Now on to the poem...

The Heart


In the desert
I saw a creature, naked, bestial,
Who, squatting upon the ground,
Held his heart in his hands,
And ate of it.

I said, "Is it good, friend?"
"It is bitter - bitter," he answered;
"But I like it
Because it is bitter,
And because it is my heart."

-Hart Crane

2 comments:

Kimberlee said...

I'm glad you (heart) the cranes because I do too! I love how cranes, pelicans, heron look so graceful when they land. I spent a wee bit of time watching the pelicans in Costa Rica dive for fish.

asha said...

It totally blows me away seeing cranes standing around in people's yards. There are so many birds here. It's amazing. Tonight we got to watch about 100 crows settle into a tree for the night. It felt like 300.