17/05/2010

Rainy day Oregon


Mr. Lee and his mom made it safely to Hong Kong. Actually, other than the shitheads at J & V Travel, I hear it was a great flight, great airline, great hotel, and the tours J & V booked have been outstanding, although yesterday's 12 hours odyssey was a bit much. And now they are having a great time in Beijing. Excellent.

As for me, it's odd being back in my old Southern Oregon stomping grounds, this trip in particular. It's my state of mind. I drove by the empty field that used to be the Medford A's stadium. Dixie and John owned them, bought the team after watching Field of Dreams... including some hot young rookie pitcher who was throwing balls about 100 miles an hour. She and I sat behind the catcher and timed him. But John's vision faded and with it his enthusiasm. They sold the team, left town. I don't know what happened to the kid. Or them. All gone. The team is gone. The stadium torn down, the field reverted to grass. If you didn't know, you wouldn't know. And the lumber mill that was in that part of town... long gone. Really long gone. Before John and Dixie came to town. But the old duplex in Ashland where I used to live... it's fixed up, white picket fence and all. Slugs used to crawl up through the hole in that bathroom floor and lounge around on the walls, probably why my daughter is so repulsed by them, even to this day, no matter how I plead their case, that it was not their fault, that they are just little ol' slow moving, don't mean nobody no harm fellows. Hates 'em. Anyway, it's gray and rainy here. I leave for Portland in the morning. Baby Thea's one year birthday is next Tuesday. That is soooomething.



8 comments:

Roy said...

It's nice the duplex is still there. A couple of my favorite used-to-live-there houses are gone now.

Can't believe Baby T is 1. I'm glad you're going to be there.

asha said...

I was delighted to see the old place looking so good. Even the alley in the back is paved, but I don't like that.

Thanks. I'm delighted to be there. Yes, one year. She is growing up a little too fast if you ask me.

Kristiana said...

at first i thought you were talking about otis street.

i have had so many dreams featuring the Duplex and they are never good, but not always badbad, and always complex.

i remember when we moved in i could only see the very crown of my head in the bathroom mirror and when we moved out i could see my whole head, shoulders and part of my torso. interesting that i even noticed that.

too bad they paved those alleys. in my neighborhood there are many unpaved alleys, and as i was passing one yesterday i thought OH ALLEY! I ALWAYS LOVED THE ALLEYS I GREW UP ON, I MISS THAT... and then i realized that i actually LIVE ON ONE at this very moment. i have that to give my daughter and so, i win.

and! clark just planted a tree at the edge of the yard. with it's eventual three-foot-diameter trunk we'll have laid our claim for full-alley-designation even further. those kinds of bastards like those with the jeep who spray gravel into our yard spinning out at the corner, wont even think it can be drove down.

looking forward to seeing you. be prepared for some reminiscence... 11,000 baby pictures worth.

p.s. dad will still be here when you come.

Roy said...

Growing up too fast. Put a brick on her head.

At some point in my young life I remember tracking my progress on seeing what's on top of the refrigerator.

asha said...

Kristiana, that's a great story about growing up the mirror.

Yay for your new tree. See you soon! Only 11,000 photos of Baby T? Let's do a video of her walking in her alley with her alley kat.

Roy, impressive progress. The top of the refrigerator is still a mysterious place to me.

Kimberlee said...

Baby T is 1 - wow! I'm so sad we didn't get to meet up but I am glad Mr. Lee and mom made it to China now they just have to get home:)

Don said...

Places disappear. It makes me sad, a little. My mom's one-room schoolhouse has been completely replaced by farmland, which is probably what was there before it was built. Me and my cousins explored it in the 60s, a tumbledown wreck with still a few old desks, and the evidence of shepherds taking shelter.

msb said...

duplex on main street I remember one of Johns b-day's. everybody wore bandana's...even Annie (:the dog:)sweet